"Tom Yum Goong" - Spicy
This is a hot and sour Thai soup that is great as an appetizer or as
a main dish when served with rice. Its robust fragrance is sure to tempt
1/2 pound peeled shrimp
4 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon chili oil
10 lime leaves (kaffir leaf)
3 tablespoons lime juice
4 stalks green onion
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 cup whole straw mushrooms
3 stalks fresh lemongrass
6 fresh Thai chilies (prik kee noo)
1. Prepare the chicken stock in a medium to large sized pot, and then
bring to a boil.
2. Add the lime leaves and lemongrass stalks to the pot, and reduce the
heat to simmering. Cook for five minutes.
3. Remove only the lemongrass, and turn the heat to high. Add in the shrimp,
mushrooms, chili oil, and the Thai chilies. Boil until the shrimp are
done (about 2 minutes)
4. Remove from stove, you're almost done!
5. Add in the fish sauce and limejuice, and stir. Some like it more sour,
others more salty. You decide on what makes you happy.
6. The most important step!!! Enjoy.